Thursday, July 26, 2007

What to do?

Having made my departure from Blackwood, the time has come to dust off the backpack, get out the camera and book flights to a cheap destination in South East Asia. Much to Kate's amusement, I am off to do some real backpacking. I intend to spend the next couple of weeks exploring northern Thailand. Watch this blog for gripping updates involving cheap hostels and wonky buses, disastrous train journeys and plenty of rain. Yes, it is the rainy season across South East Asia (I note England is experiencing some solidarity at the moment), but being voluntarily unemployed does not come around very often and so the weather can't be helped. If I am lucky, the trip will involve border crossings into Burma and Laos too, subject of course to the usual visa battles with the petty tyranny of officialdom. I have got a flight at sparrow's on Monday morning and until then it will be the usual pre-trip planning including the razor tight budget, a link provided below just for Leesie. I have already had my first comment. Kate says my picture, above, makes me look like a tortoise. You can always trust your wife to give honest feedback. If you are wondering (of course you are), the sepia picture at the top was taken in Candidasa, Bali. Until next time, take a Siesta, you know you are worth it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am rather sad, the photo of "Tom - The Tortoise" is not available, could you re-post, so we can share the amusement of your wife's comments please?

-Pooch

Anonymous said...

We look forward to tracking you exploits. In many ways you are not dissimilar to Uncle Travelling Mat (from Fraggle Rock). Give our love to Kate and cats.

Anonymous said...

I have a terrible feeling in my gut the otiginal Letter from Singapore has changed loyalties. I should have made you sign a restaint of trade!

Toots said...

Letter from Singapore shall have to become syndicated content. After all, whom am I to deny my global audience my pearls of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kate, I am so sorry you have your husband has lost his mind and is going about spending your wealth.
I still love you!

Jasper
xx

Anonymous said...

I suppose the time had to come when we would be back at our pcs in the corporate world reading someone else's travel website.

Glad to see someone else isn't taking life too seriously, if you get into Burma we will be very jealous.

Have fun - Mrs Leesie x